Alabama State Seal



Municipal Court

Home ~ Attractions ~ Services/RecreationCity Officials ~  Municipal Court ~  New Ordinances
Emergency Services ~ Calendar of Events ~ Schools/Related Links  ~ Business Information


Traffic Citations

Grant Municipal Court adjudicates traffic and misdemeanor cases resulting from citations or complaints within the Town of Grant and its jurisdiction.  There are two types of traffic citations:

Court Appearance Not Required - If you have a "court appearance not required" citation and would like to settle it without appearing in court, you may do so by appearing in-person at the court clerk's office and entering a plea of guilty to the traffic offense. Fines and costs must be paid in full at the time of settlement. You may also remit your plea & payment by mail. We must receive plea and payment in our Municipal Court office on or before your assigned court date. You may mail your plea and payment (money order or cashiers check only made payable to Grant Municipal Court) to:

Grant Municipal Court
P. O. Box 70
Grant, AL 35747

If you do not want to plead guilty to the citation, you must appear on your court date to enter a plea before the judge.

Court Appearance Required - If your citation requires a court appearance, you must appear in court on the court date listed on the citation. You will appear before the municipal judge and enter a plea to the charge. If you plead guilty, the judge will determine your fine amount and you will be able to pay the fine at that time. If you plead not guilty, your case will be set for trial.

If you have questions concerning a traffic citation or misdemeanor case, you may contact the court clerk at 256.728.2007.

[ Return To Top ]



Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I do not wish to enter a plea on my ticket. Can I just pay it?

A: No, by Alabama law, you must enter a plea of guilty or not guilty on your ticket. Magistrates can only accept payment if it is accompanied by a plea of guilty. If you wish to enter a not guilty plea, you must appear in court.

Q: I want to settle my ticket before court, but I can't pay the fine in full. Can I schedule payments?

A: No, if you wish to settle without a court appearance, you must be prepared to pay the fines and costs in full.

Q: I plan to mail my ticket along with a payment. Will you send me a receipt?

A: It is not the practice of the clerk's office to mail receipts. It is always recommended that you settle your ticket in person at which time a receipt will be given. If you choose to mail your ticket and payment, your money order receipt will serve as your receipt. Remember to sign the back of your copy of the ticket before sending it in.

Q: I got a "minor" traffic ticket.  What happens if I just let it go and don't settle it?

A: Any time a citation is issued a court date is given. If you do not settle the ticket before court, you are required to appear in court on the date assigned. If you fail to appear, a warrant may be issued and your license may be suspended. To avoid further action on the part of the Court, it is very important that you settle your ticket on time.

Q: I was given a citation for not having vehicle insurance. I purchased insurance the next day. Can my ticket be dismissed?

A: No, Alabama law requires all drivers to possess proof of insurance. If you did not have insurance at the time the citation was issued, you were in violation of the law.


[ Return To Top ]